Many books have been written and sermons preached to explain the Gospel and it's content. Although Gateway is not affiliated with the Church at Brook Hills in Birmingham, Alabama, we've found their summary of the Gospel worth repeating:
- God, the just and gracious Creator of the universe, looked upon hopelessly sinful people and sent His Son,
- Jesus Christ, God in the flesh, to bear on the cross His own wrath against sin.
- By the resurrection of Jesus from the dead, God shows His power over sin so that all who turn and trust in Him will forever be reconciled to God.
A right way to understand and respond to he Gospel includes these elements:
The Character of God
- Biblical truth: God is the holy, just, and gracious Creator of all things.
- Biblical response: We must realize that we belong to Him, are accountable to Him, and are created to glorify Him
The Sinfulness of Man
- Biblical truth: We are each created by God, but we are all thoroughly corrupted by sin.
- Biblical response: We must admit areas of rebellion, be honest with God about our sin, and turn away from it.
The Sufficiency of Christ
- Biblical truth: Jesus alone is able to remove our sin and reconcile us to God through His death. He alone satisfies the wrath of God for our sins.
- Biblical response: We must recognize that we are helpless to be reconciled with God apart from Jesus Christ.
The Necessity of Faith
- Biblical truth: We are reconciled to God only through faith in Jesus. There is nothing we can do to become right with God.
- Biblical response: Faith that leads to salvation involved turning from sin and self-sufficiency. We turn to Jesus and trust in Him as Lord, confessing that He is our Savior and Lord.
The Urgency of Eternity
- Biblical truth: Our eternal destiny is dependent on our response to Jesus.
- Biblical response: We must cry out to God to save us of our sins, put our faith in Jesus Christ and confess His as Savior and Lord while we still have breath in this world. Do not wait another day!